Suppose I do independent work for company a recruiter introduced me to?

An executive recruiter contacted me regarding a position; the CEO of the company seems to really want me, but I decided I don't want to move to where the company is located. Bottom line, I don't want the specific position, but would it be ethical if I told the recruiter I didn't want it, and then privately discuss working on one or two projects in the future as an independent contractor? What about if I told the recruiter exactly that, in other words, I didn't want the position but would be interested in work on a project basis--but would only do so with his approval. Is there some way he/she could figure a fee for his services in matching me up with the company?

Usually the recruiter's contract is with the employer, not you. He will be in touch with the employer (if I understand your question correctly). He certainly may be back in touch with you as well, and at that time you may want to mention that you're pursuing contract work with this employer.

Often companies use a particular agency for recruiting in an on going basis. They communicate freely and the recruiter won't get ripped off. It's a good question, though ... shows good business ethics.

Finally, I'll just mention that if this is a super job you may want to consider at least a temporary relocation. Great jobs are scarce right now. Once you're in the position you can use your own creativity to figure out how you can do the job from your preferred location. I'm just saying.